Wednesday, July 15, 2009

costume ridiculousness

So after that last post I figured you guys would probably want to see those crazy halloween costumes. Unfortunately I didn't dress up this past year and I only have pictures of 3 of the years before that.
Halloween 2007. Mailbox.
My friend Nicole dressed up as a mailwoman and my friend Dave dressed up as a package. We went trick or treating on embassy row (oh, the joys of living in DC!) and two mailmen drove by us and honked at us. At one point we decided to put on a little show for the passers-by so I stood next to a row of mailboxes and Nicole walked up like she was going to put something in my mailbox and I took off running and she chased me. The idea of a mailwoman chasing a mailbox seemed really funny at the time.

Halloween 2006. Butcher Fun Barbie.
This is probably my favorite costume ever. My dad and I had to go dumpster diving all over the place to find a box big enough. When I wore it to school I realized that with that plastic in the front, it got really really hot in there so in the middle of the day I had to cut a hole in the top just so I could breathe. Twist tied behind me are some plastic cuts of meat and some knives. The sticker on the front says "Now with glow in the dark knives!" The back of the costume is my favorite but I unfortunately don't have any pictures of it. There's a barcode sticker and a bunch of crazy slogans like:
"Barbie's bringing home the bacon!"
and
"Grade-A fun for everyone!"
and
"USDA approved!"


Halloween 2005. Rapunzel.
My dad built the tower and my mom sewed the dress. I made the wig. We searched high and low for a prince charming Ken doll. This costume was really hard to get in and out of.

In 2004 I was a woman sitting in a beauty chair. It had fake legs and everything. Really kind of hard to explain, you have to see it. In 2003 I was a jack-in-the-box and my sister was a picnic (again, you really have to see it to get it).

But the costume that started this family tradition of really elaborate costumes was in 2002 when my sister was a junior in high school. Her friend jokingly suggested she be a hillbilly in an outhouse. So she did it. She was like a legend at our school after that. Too bad for the rest of high school everyone knew her as "the outhouse girl." Haha.

1 comment:

  1. Dang, these costumes are awesome! Barbie and the Mailbox are definitely my faves!

    ReplyDelete